Sunday, March 27, 2011

6k run for fun!

I just returned from a 6 km run. It felt great. My legs didn't hurt, it wasn't raining or snowing, the sun was almost shining.... Brad and I have decided to train to run 10 km. While I know this doesn't sound like a challenge to some and there is the possibility that I could do it at this point, the point of training for it is so that 10 k will one day be easy and faster. My goal is to be able to do it in just under an hour. Today I did 6 in 38min 48sec. My goal is going to take some work! I totally meant to write more but lost my train of thought. I have decided to not do a half marathon this spring. I've been not running due to an injured ankle and then a sore knee and then a ski trip added to the time away... not to mention, I just don't want to! The actual race isn't the issue, come race day and I know I'll be sad, it's the training. It's exhausting. It's time consuming. My knee hurts again when I walk up stairs. Jen, I miss you. Another thing I forgot...for Lent I decided to cut back drastically on my Facebook usage. It just seemed to be causing more problems than I'd like to deal with! So, if I start babbling on here it's because I have a million status updates in my head that I haven't been writing down! So sorry :) Micah is 6 months old today. Half a year. Wow.
Oh AND we got a new member of the family on Friday - Ava Grace was born to Brent and Sara and "big" brother Peter. She is a lovely little girl and I'll post some pictures soon!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Awesome Brad! Probably best to start with that "baby" distance :)

I kid, I kid. I have to say, I don't hate running. I don't look forward to it, but I enjoy it once I'm actually moving. Four days ago 5k felt so bad, then on Saturday 10k felt awesome. Weird sport.

Good for you both!

theBreedvelds said...

Thanks Chris :P
Agreed - it is a weird sport. You never know how you're gonna feel. We've just both got some "baby belly" to get rid of... :)
For some reason, I find I feel better on longer runs. Don't know why.

The Radke's said...

I miss you to Carolyne! I keep thinking about our training together last year. And Brad...good for you. I am cheering you both on from the sidelines. And happy 6 month birthday Micah, I'm so sad that we are missing all this...

Frances said...

Great goal - you can do it in under an hour, no problem! Right now, I'm thinking 10K sounds good after looking at the coming weeks in our training. I'm getting too old for this stuff :)
Where are you doing the 10K? Or are you just going to run 10K and not do an "event"?
Miss you on FB, but I get the issues that can arise. I hope you have checked out all the Big White photos, especially the ones of your kids.

Anonymous said...

So awesome that you are both running! Happy six month birthday to Micah!

Miranda said...

I am sad that Micah is 6 months and I haven't met him yet.
:(